Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"Happy kids = Happy Mommy": Favourite Quotes

I've been thinking of some of my favourite quotes about parenting.

Today I kept thinking "Happy baby, Happy Mom"  Today is the first day in about a week that Lucy has not been incredibly cranky.  That being said, today was the day I got her into the Doctor to find out she has an ear infection. She is also teething. She is 8 months old and has been on 3 antibiotics, eye drops and Zantac already.  Somehow she still manages to be a happy-go-lucky little gal.

Thinking of this quote made me think of some of my other favourite quotes about parenting.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body." 
~Elizabeth Stone

The above quote could not be more true.  When they hurt, I hurt.  When they are sad, I am sad. When they laugh, I laugh.  Their heart is my heart.

An other favourite
"Don't worry that your children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you." ~Robert Fulghum


my little copy cat (when he was little)


"Before I got married I had 6 theories about bringing up children. Now I have 6 children and no theories." ~John Wilmot

I had 7 years between Seth and Miriam.  That gave me 7 years to notice the results of some of my parenting choices.  I changed some of my previous theories.  I held onto some of my theories.  
After actually parenting Miriam I realize that the differences between Seth and Miriam are great.  I could have parented them both the exact same way and had completely different results.  So forget theories.  What works for one may not work for an other.  My morals have not changed but some of the other stuff I just have to make up as I go...

"To be in your child's memories tomorrow, you have to be in their life today." ~Anonymous

We are all just kids at heart!

My final two quotes make me laugh on the days that I want to cry. (I cry for many reasons. Happy, sad, exhaustion etc.)

"It kills you to see them grow-up but I guess it would kill your quicker if they didn't" ~Barbara Kingsolver

Seth heading to Grade 4. (tear...)

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable." ~Lane Olinghouse

That would be a great photo to have, but unfortunately (and fortunately) when this happens (and it usually does) I am relaxing and not prepared to take any photos.




No comments:

Post a Comment