Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Pizza, Pizza, Pizza

The reason this 'New Recipe' weekend started was because Eric wanted to try his hand at homemade pizza.
Now that we have, I think we will be doing it more often!

Perfect Parmesan Pizza Dough
this recipe is from the Spring 2011 'What's Cooking?' mag


Ingredients  (This makes 4 - 12in pizzas)


5 cups flour 
1 cup parmesan Cheese
1tsp quick-rise yeast
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups cold water
1/4 cup olive oil
(Eric wanted to ass some Italiano Seasoning, so we did, but I'm not sure it was noticeable)




Mix 4 cups flour, cheese, yeast and salt (and seasoning) in a large bowl.  Add water and oil and stir until it forms a soft (and sticky) dough.  Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 min.  (Our kneading lasted a bit longer because everyone in the house, with the exception of the baby, wanted to do some kneading)


Cut the dough into 4 pieces and spray with cooking oil.  If using right away, cover with plastic wrap and let rise.  If freezing, shove it in a plastic bag and toss it in the freezer. (This recipe says you can freeze it for up to 3 months, thaw it in the fridge when you want to use it)
We used half, and froze half.


Now you need to let it rise for 15 minutes.


Come back, shape it onto a pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil and leave for an other 10 min. (this would be the perfect opportunity to cut up veggies and grate cheese)


Preheat over to 450


Spoon the sauce on top and load it with whatever you want.


Cook on the bottom rack of the oven for 17-18 minutes.  Out comes delicious satisfaction!!






Did I mention that I LOVE, love, LOVE pizza??


I especially love my pizza with lots of toppings and we feared that the crust would not be strong enough to hold all of our toppings, but it stood up to our topping abuse and was definitely strong enough for our 'Hawaiian' pizza which was stacked sooo super high with tomato, ham, pineapple and onions.


I will let you know how the next one turns out after a thaw.... I am always skeptical about freezing dough, I have no validation for this fear, but I will let you know how it goes anyways.


Tomorrow be back for a recipe for Rocky Road Bars.
**  If I did this in order of what Eric liked best, he would have put the desert before the asparagus, but I am definitely a desert person, and on this blog - only my opinion counts!

1 comment: